Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Run Caro, Run!

Hello all,

As most of you know about a year ago I started a journey to change my life and one of my ultimate goals which goes beyond my weight loss was to finish a triathlon... well both those goals have proven to be harder to achieve then I thought. Along the way there has been an amazing amount of self discovery and emotional healing which has enabled me to keep fight my own small uphill battle.

In looking for a support as far as triathlon training I ran into an organization called Team In Training. They help athletes train for marathons, triathlons, century rides and hiking adventures all while raising funds for blood cancer research. Once I read what they were all about I felt at home! Fortunately for me no one in my family has suffered the pain of losing or dealing with cancer.

But about six months ago a dear old friend of mine sent me an email announcing that her three year old son Joaquin had been diagnosed with Leukemia. It was a sad day for all who have had the honor and pleasure of knowing Joaquin's parents (I went to high school with both of them). So it was then I decided that I will be taking part in Disneys Princess 1/2 Marathon in Orlando, Florida in March 2010. I figured it's a good way to honor my dear friends and to find my footing in the world of racing.

I know, I know, 13.1 miles sounds like a whole lot to take on, but it's for an important cause.



Now, Im not trying to get all Sally Struthers on you guys but look at that beautiful face! I will be thinking about him every time I want to just give up, sit down and have some one fetch me some lemonade.

I cannot even imagine the amount of strength it takes to battle cancer and still be a happy child all before even thinking about starting kindergarten.

The LLS's mission is to cure leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin's disease and Myeloma, and improve the quality of life of patients and their families. The bad news is that there is no known cure. Leukemia remains a leading cause of cancer-related death in children. Every four minutes, someone is newly diagnosed with a blood cancer, and 894,543 Americans are presently living with leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin's disease, or Myeloma. However, the good news is that in 1960, the five-year survival rate for children with the most common form of Leukemia was just 4% and today it is 85%.

Running a marathon is only my physical commitment to this cause. My principle goal is to raise $2,500 to support the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. Listen guys, I know times are tough right now but I need your support!

If you can please make a donation to support my participation in Team in Training and help advance the Society's mission. Whatever you can will help and don't get intimidated but the amounts on the page if all you can donate is $3, $5, $10 its all welcomed with so much love and appreciation! It all adds up in the end.

I hope you'll visit my website(s) often. Be sure to check back frequently to see my progress. I will be posting little video updates to put my four years of film school to good use!

If you have already donated thank you once again... but can you please forward this to your friends? I need all the help I can get.

Thank you so much for your support!

Click here to donate:


http://pages.teamintraining.org/sfl/dipihalf10/CaroGonzalez

Caro

No comments:

Post a Comment